The 2021-2022 GreenThumb Leadership Academy (GLA) is a six-month leadership development program designed for NYC community gardeners. The program is offered by NYC Parks GreenThumb in collaboration with the Cooperative Economics Alliance of NYC. Please apply at bit.ly/GTLeadershipAcademy22 by Friday, November 5, 2021!
GLA is designed to strengthen the leadership skills gardeners need for the long haul to build collective groups and democratic spaces that facilitate healing for communities and the environment. We will do this work in stages by developing individual, collective, and systemic analysis of leadership. At the end of the program we will put our learning into practice.
Participants can anticipate that this six month course will include:
- Session 1: Intro to GreenThumb + Navigating City Government
- Session 2: Garden Group Meeting Facilitation + Finances
- Session 3: Understanding Yourself as a Leader, Power + Self Regulation
- Session 4: Situational Group Leadership, Leading + Deciding Together
- Session 5: Leading for Community, Understanding Systems + Connecting to History
- Session 6: Leadership in Action, Resolving Conflict Together + Celebrating Victories
Eligible* gardeners may be at different stages in leadership and experience from someone newly elected to a leadership role to a seasoned garden coordinator looking to pass the torch.
Applicants must be available on the following dates and able to commit 2-4 hours each month toward independent homework assignments between group meetings:
- Wednesday, December 8, 2021: 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 12, 2022: 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 9, 2022: 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 9, 2022: 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 13, 2022: 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 11, 2022: 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Class sessions in December, April, and May will take place in person*, at an indoor venue near Columbus Circle. Class sessions in January, February, and March will be held remotely on Zoom.
Apply at bit.ly/GTLeadershipAcademy22 by Friday, November 5, 2021!
Space is limited. Like all GreenThumb workshops, this training is free of charge. If you have any questions about the GLA, please contact Vanessa Ventola, Outreach Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 602-5306.
*All applicants must be vaccinated against COVID-19, able to provide proof of vaccination, and must wear a mask inside the Recreation Center. This is in accordance with NYC Parks and New York City policy. Please note, if circumstances require, this program may be transitioned to a fully remote (Zoom) teaching format. Applicants should be willing to participate both in person or on Zoom.