GreenThumb Events & Workshops
Open Garden Day NYC
Saturday, August 1, 2020
11:00 a.m.–2:35 p.m.
Please note: This event has already taken place. Please use the Browse and Search options on the right to find upcoming events.
This year, NYC Parks GreenThumb’s annual Open Garden Day NYC will be a week long virtual celebration. GreenThumb will host a series of virtual garden tours across NYC throughout the week leading up to Open Garden Day on our Instagram (@greenthumbgrows) and Facebook (@GreenThumbNYC) pages.
On Saturday, August 1, we will host a special day of programming on Facebook Live at Brooklyn Bears Carlton Ave. Garden.
The day will include workshops, music, and garden tours, including:
- 11:00 a.m. - 11:05 a.m.: Welcome by Bill LoSasso, Director of NYC Parks GreenThumb
- 11:05 a.m. - 11:55 a.m.: Succulent workshop with Urban Park Ranger, Jane Deng
- 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.: Herbalism workshop with community gardener, Stephen Reid
- 1:00 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.: Music performance by Batalá New York, an all-female percussion ensemble playing Afro-Brazilian music
- 1:45 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.: Intermission
- 2:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.: Live garden tour with Q&A of Brooklyn Bears Carlton Ave. Garden led by community gardener, Jon Crow.
- 2:30 p.m. - 2:35 p.m.: Closing by Karyn Williams, GreenThumb Assistant Director for Planning & Programs
*Schedule subject to change
Virtual/Online Workshop, Manhattan
Directions to this location